Who Is Eligible to Carry?
Individuals who hold a license to carry are eligible to carry a concealed handgun on campus. License holders must be 21 or older and must clear eligibility requirements related to criminal background, mental health history, and substance abuse issues. Learn more about eligibility on the Department of Public Safety website.
Where is Concealed Carry Allowed?
The concealed carry of handguns by permit holders is generally allowed in outdoor areas, as well as buildings and spaces that are accessible to the public. Permit holders are allowed to carry in classrooms.
Where Is Concealed Carry Prohibited?
Areas exempted from concealed carry as laid out by state law and campus policy include:
- Residence halls: Concealed carry is prohibited in on-campus residence halls, except in common areas, such as lounges and study areas. Student residents’ family members with state-issued permits may carry handguns while visiting.
- Intercollegiate athletic events.
- Spaces where K-12 programming is held.
- Businesses that derive more than 51 percent of their sales from alcohol.
- Offices: University employees who are solely assigned to an office are permitted to prohibit the concealed carry of a handgun in that office and are required to provide oral notice to all visitors that the concealed carry of a handgun is prohibited in the office.
- Selected labs: Certain laboratories and animal-research facilities may prohibit the concealed carry of handguns.
Information for Permit Holders
It is the responsibility of concealed-carry license holders to carry their handguns on or about their person at all times while on campus. “About” the person means that a license holder may carry a holstered handgun in a backpack or handbag, but the backpack or handbag must be close enough that the license holder can grasp it without materially changing position. The holster must completely cover the trigger area and have enough tension to keep the gun in place if jostled. A license holder may not carry a partially or wholly visible handgun on campus premises or on any university driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
The open carry of handguns is not permitted on campus. Anyone who sees an openly carried gun on campus should immediately call 911.
UT Austin leadership will not tolerate any threatening use of concealed carry weapons, or any other weapons. We ask that concealed license holders remember that while they may be at ease carrying a handgun, many people on our campus are not familiar with handguns and are uncomfortable in their presence.
UT Austin is obliged to follow this law to the letter and is not at liberty to enact policies or provisions that violate it. Any changes to the law must come through the state legislative process.